Thursday, December 25, 2008

17 days post op

I am struggling getting my strength back and have just let my online activities take a back seat.

I went to the doctor last Friday for my first follow-up visit. He was very pleased with my progress and said that the pain I am experiencing is natural. I learned that the sharp pain I feel in the lower left side is not from where the stomach or intestines were cut but instead it is from where muscles were stitched up. I did not realize that any muscles had been cut so it is not surprising that is what is giving me fits. I am allergic to various meds so I am still trying to find one that will knock the edge off the pain. Lortab would be the drug of choice but I can't take it. I ended up on Tramadol/Ultram which is just a step above Tylenol.

Everything else is going well. The doctor took out the drain I was wearing. I had been emptying it just once a day and there was little "activity" going on by the time I went into the office. Couple of little stitches held it in place. I have learned from a friend who also had this surgery that her drain was not stitched in and her doctor had her take hers out herself at home. Yuck! She was freaked out by how long the portion was that was inside. I am glad I did not have to do it myself and really did not even have to look at it that much.

I was seeing the doctor on Friday and the original plan was for me to come back on Monday to have the staples removed. Because everything was healing so well they took out the 17 staples while I was there on Friday. Two staples in one location, three in another, four in another and 5 in the remaining two places. Only felt one little tug the nurse was so good taking them out.

I am sure everything is going to heal and fade but for now I look a bit like a battlefield. On my right collarbone are several little holes from the central line they inserted during the second surgery and the staples that held it in place. It was great having it in the hospital because anytime they needed to draw blood or give me an injection, they just did it in this central line. They also gave me TPN nutrition in this line as well as antibiotics. Since it was stapled in place the marks now look like an odd bite mark. LOL

Tip if you have this surgery or ever have a central line: Have the nurse tape it down. We had more trouble trying to get me up and walking with this central line and it was always getting tugged by my hospital gown because of the awkward placement. It was day four before a nurse suggested the tape and it made a big difference.

Then there are the five incision sites and the hole left by the drain. I look like a game of "Who Sunk My Battleship?"

I have lost 15 more pounds since the surgery for a total of 30 since this process started in October.

I have graduated to a pureed diet. I am taking it easy on the solid foods but did have mushed up green beans, broccoli/rice casserole and turkey last weekend when my family was gathered to celebrate Christmas. I have also enjoyed scrambled eggs, Smoothie King shakes and lots of soup. I need to go see the nutritionist to make sure I am on track. I do not think I am getting enough protein. Gotta work on that.

So far I have not experienced any "dumping." Yeah!!

3 comments:

betty said...

sounds like you are making good progress Donna. congrats on the 30 pounds gone but I know they came with a lot of pain and discomfort, but in the end the outcome will be a good one!! I have heard of 'dumping'; I hope you won't have any or as few as possible.

I agree, talking with a nutritionist is a good idea to see how to get the protein, etc your body needs. I have always tended to go on high protein diets when losing weight and I can tell if I'm not getting enough protein, so if you are thinking you aren't getting enough, chances are your body's letting you know that; and I think protein is good for healing

doing good!!

betty

Missie said...

I'm glad you're doing well. Once my knee heals up the ACL surgery I'm having, I will starting the process for gastric bypass.

Anonymous said...

Hello! :)